The primary purpose of the DON in planning, organizing, and directing the day to day functions of the Nursing department to ensure that the highest degree of quality care is maintained at all times, as directed by the Administrator.
Essential Job Functions
Every effort has been made to make your job description as complete as possible. However, it in no way states or implies that these are the only duties you will be required to perform. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or is a logical assignment to the position.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
· Will report to the Administrator
· Planning, developing, organizing, implementing policies and procedures in accordance with all governing rules.
· Planning, developing, organizing, implementing the day to day functions of the nursing department in accordance with all governing rules.
· Oversee nursing education
1. Ensure in-service training in the following areas for all CNAs on a monthly basis
a. Catheter Care
c. Infection Control
d. Oral care & hygiene
2. Ensure Return demonstrations for CNAs
· Ensure that reference material maintained at nursing station is current
· Make written and oral reports/recommendations to the Administrator as necessary concerning the operation of the nursing department.
· Ensure that all nursing personnel are following their respective job descriptions.
· Development, maintenance, and implementation of the facility’s QA program for the nursing department.
· Coordinate the oversight of the nursing services portion of the resident’s discharge plan.
· Perform administrative duties such as completing medical forms, reports, evaluations, studies, charting, etc, as necessary.
· Serve and participate in and attend various committees of the facility (i.e., Infection control, QA, Safety Committee, etc.)
· Attend and participate in Care Plan meetings as necessary.
· Participate in the weekend administrative duty schedule
· Participate in the supervisory on-call schedule.
· Determining and maintaining staffing needs in the nursing department.
· Recruitment and selection of nursing personnel.
· Ensure that a sufficient number of nurses and CNAs are available for each shift.
· Oversee scheduling work assignments and duty hours with Staffing coordinator.
· Preparation of performance evaluations.
· Make daily rounds to ensure that all nursing personnel are performing their work assignments.
· Monitor absenteeism, tardiness, and overtime. (Be creative to resolve these issues)
· Ensure that departmental disciplinary action is administered fairly.
· Participate in selection of residents for admission.
· Coordinate with Admissions Director for special needs (i.e. oxygen, special mattresses.
· Greet new admissions upon arrival.
· Make rounds with doctors when necessary.
· Attend and participate in continuing education programs designed to keep you abreast of changes in your profession as well as to maintain your license on a current status.
· Monitor nursing personnel to ensure that they are following established safety regulations in use of equipment and supplies.
· Ensure that nursing work areas are maintained in a clean and safe manner.
· Ensure that all nursing personnel follow established departmental policies and procedures, including appropriate dress code.
· Ensure that an adequate stock level of medications, equipment, etc., is maintained on site to meet the needs of the residents.
· Maintain confidentiality of all resident care information..
· Coordinate Program for residents
· Any other duties assigned by the Administrator
Other similar jobs that might interest you