Interested in a career with both meaning and growth? Whether your abilities are in direct patient care or one of the many other areas of healthcare administration and support, everyone at Parkland works together to fulfill our mission: the health and well-being of individuals and communities entrusted to our care. By joining Parkland, you become part of a diverse healthcare legacy that’s served our community for more than 125 years. Put your skills to work with us, seek opportunities to learn and join a talented team where patient care is more than a job. It’s our passion!
Sr Registered Nurse (RN) – Labor & Delivery Triage
FT Nights; including rotating weekends/ 7P – 7A
12 hour shift/3 day per week
**$10K Hiring Incentive eligible for qualified candidates (1 year commitment)
The RN is a licensed professional who uses the Parkland nursing professional practice model to coordinate patient care delivery, that focuses on a particular patient population(s)/specific health conditions, by the health care team. Using the nursing process, the RN assesses the patient, identifies nursing diagnoses based on responses to health problems, develops and implements an individualized plan of care, and evaluates the patients response. The RN utilizes knowledge of patient needs and the healthcare environment to assist patients to transition through the healthcare encounter without any preventable complications or delays. The RN delegates interventions to health care personnel based on the Texas Nursing Practice Act, each patients condition and the competencies of the employee.
- Medical – Active Day 1 of hire
- Life Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Pension Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Personal Leave
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Health Center
- Parkland Center of Nursing Excellence
- SPARKS Peer Support Network
- And more!
- Serves as a patient advocate, by focusing on patient needs, patient rights, confidentiality, and religious and cultural preferences. Maintains positive working relationships with all Parkland internal and external customers, employees, etc. Serves as a resource for patients and other healthcare team members.
- May participate in community outreach activities (such as health fairs, community collaborations or outreach clinics) as assigned.
- Maintains and implements knowledge of applicable rules, regulations, policies, laws and guidelines that impact or govern nursing practice, and ensures the hospital and Parkland are in compliance.
- Maintains current knowledge of procedures and practice for patients requiring induction of pregnancy.
- Performs appropriate patient assessments including continuous surveillance. Recognizes changes in a patients condition and provides appropriate interventions as necessary. Consults with other team members as required, notifies providers to report changes in patient condition and implements orders in a timely manner. Exercises independent judgment in providing safe nursing care to the laboring patient, stable neonate, recovering, ECU and postpartum patient.
- Performs appropriate duties during the laboring process, during a vaginal delivery, cesarean delivery and during the immediate postpartum period. Supports breastfeeding and provides education related to newborn. Provides safe medication administration using the patients 6 rights, provides maintenance, maintenance and management of IV access, performs POC monitoring and demonstrates safe infection control practices. Supports appropriate positioning, assessment and management of pain and provides emergency resuscitation care to the neonate and patient in the Labor and Delivery area.
- Completes appropriate documentation. Maintains accurate and timely entries and notations in patient care records and hospital documents. Ensures that all records and documents meet the standards, goals, and objectives of the assigned department and Parkland.
- Works with other staff in providing direction to non-nursing staff. Participates in information exchanges with nursing and other Parkland staff that support the standards, missions, goals and objectives of the department and Parkland. Provides appropriate hand off any time care is relinquished. Seeks and utilizes direction from more experience staff and team members as needed. Serves as Charge Nurse on rotation as necessary.
- Serves as a preceptor or trainer to newer nursing staff members.
- Prepares and conducts an in-service educational program for the assigned department, at least once per year.
- Identifies ways to improve work process and improve patient and customer satisfaction. Makes recommendations to supervisor, implements and monitors results as appropriate in support of the overall goals of the department and Parkland. May serve on various interdisciplinary committees as assigned.
- Stays abreast of the latest developments, advancements and trends in nursing practice by attending seminars/workshops, reading professional journals and actively participating in professional organizations.
- Maintains State of Texas Licensure as a Registered Nurse, plus any additional required licensures/certifications. Integrates knowledge gained into current work practices.
- A.S. or BSN Degree from an accredited Professional School of Nursing
- Currnt/valid RN license or temporary RN license from the Texas Board of Nursing; or, valid Compact RN license.
- Two (2) years of Labor & Delivery experience required.
- Current/valid Basic Life Support (BLS) healthcare provider completion card from one of the following: American Heart Association, American Red Cross, or Military Training Network.
- May be required to have additional specialty certifications.
- Must have Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) certification within 90 days of hire or reclassification into the role.
- Must have current American Heart Association ACLS course completion card within 90 days of hire or reclassification into the role. placement in role.
Parkland Health and Hospital System prohibits discrimination based on age (40 or over), race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, disability, national origin, marital status, political belief, or veteran status.